City Council will meet in closed and open sessions Tuesday, April 11. Here’s what’s on the agenda for public input:
Trash Pickup Cleanup
The Public Works department proposes to “grant an Exclusive Franchise Agreement” for trash pickup to Athens Services, Inc., kicking Burrtec to the can.
- Some background: Riverside has 63,484 residential trash pickup sites (42,323 are serviced by the City, 21,161 by Burrtec) and 7,408 commercial pickups serviced by Athens and CR&R. Contracts with the external pickup providers have been in place since 2001 and expire June 30, 2023. Proposals for new contracts were due in November 2022. The City claims Burrtec was “non-responsive due to lack of proposal bond for sufficient amount” to cover residential or commercial needs.
Picking up the conversation from January, Council will discuss which commemorative flags would be approved for display at City Hall in an update to the City’s flag policy. The Human Relations Council recommends Council approves the display of flags for:
- Dr. Martin Luther King Day (the third Monday in January)
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day (January 27)
- Black History Month (February)
- Women’s History Month or Women’s Suffrage Victory (March)
- Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month (May)
- LGBTQ Pride Month (June)
- Juneteenth (June 19)
- Latino/a Heritage Month
- Indigenous Peoples Day(October) or Native American Heritage Month (November)
See the full agenda for todays’s City Council meeting and join the conversation in the Council Chambers for open sessions at 3:00 p.m. and 6:15 p.m.